Thursday, April 19, 2012

Textiles and Teacups

Secrets of an Old Quilt
 
Today, I went up to the attic,
And found a quilt that grandma made.
The binding was worn, the pieces tattered,
And the colors had begun to fade.
There were silks and wools and calicos.
In a pattern of the nine patch kind.
They were precision cut and precision sewn,
And with an intricate quilting design.
She pieced the top at the quilting bee,
It helped her quilt the days away.
And they talked about everybody,
Who didn’t help quilt that day.
Only if that quilt could talk…
Oh the words that would be conveyed.
Of the gossip at the quilting bee,
In the quilt that grandma made…
 
Reed

Today my post consists of pillows made from tattered vintage quilts, transferware, chintz vintage plates and tea cups. The plate above is from chintz Collection by Royale Garden Staffordshire England.



The plate above doesn't have a mark. The transferware cup is Mason made for Crabtree and Evelyn and the roses are from a bunch that I dried at Easter time.



My iron bed. you can't see much of  it in this post but I'll show more at another time.

This teacup is marked Victoria with a crown C&E Bone China England. The saucer is marked Made in England Bone China with a crown Rosina. I found each one separately years apart . They aren't from the same set but they match perfectly. I love it when that happens.






The green rimmed  plate is from a collection of five different floral patterns. They have a pretty mark on the bottom of one acorn in a basket that looks sort of like a mote.  Bone China Hammersley & Co. Made in England.

This is one of my newest tea cups and one of my favorites. It doesn't have a mark . I'll show some better pictures of it in another post.


I hope you enjoyed browsing thru my textile and teacups post. Hope you have a lovely day.
~Clara

http://www.pinterest.com/emptyspool/

22 comments:

Rowan said...

You have some really pretty china, Ilove anything with roses on but the ones marked Victoria and Rosina are particularly nice.

Siret said...

It looks so lovely!

Zinnia said...

You are bidding on such a lovely blog! My brother inherited an old quilt from my grandma. If only pieces of fabric could tell. Gorgeous tea cups you are viewing. I was most fond of one of the seeds of the boundary. The one I understand is your newest. I wish you a wonderful weekend! Zinnias

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

How lovely - and your Grandmother's gorgeous old quilt as the backdrop makes the vignette even more special!

Your china and roses and iron bed are beautiful.

Antiques And Teacups said...

What a wonderful old quilt! I love the soft pink and blue colors. I also love transferware & teacups, so your post is gorgeous! Your quilt poem is is wonderful.
Ruth

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Your sweet things look beautiful together. I think quilts DO talk. Especially when they are lovingly worn like your pillows. I love this kind of applique work. Nice poem too.

LV said...

No matter the age of quilts, I love them all.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Hi! I just think you have the prettiest blog! And your post is so lovely, as well. The poem is really good, and I love all your china, and dishes. The pillow is really neat. Did you make that from an old quilt?
Blessings,
Susie

La Vie Quotidienne said...

How lovely. So very pretty and romantic.

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

Beautiful combinations of Floral & Pink...
I love the tea cups & that quilt is Perfect~
Thanks for sharing
Cheryl

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Everything is so pretty! Is that your house in the blog header? It looks like a fairy tale house:)

Stephanie said...

There is such a peaceful feeling of warmth and comfort in the vignettes you have presented. It is all so lovely.

Rosewalk Cottage said...

Thank you Susie,
The pillows are made from a vintage quilt. The small one is made from the border and the large one is a block from the background.
~Clara

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Happy Pinks, Clara! I love that Victoria teacup; so pretty! Gorgeous post filled with pink. And the poem reminded me of my grandmother. Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Gorgeous vignette - love the pillows from the quilts and the gorgeous china - you can 't go wrong with chintz! beautiful post - I hope you have a wonderful weekend,
Kathy

SwedishCorner-DownUnder...Pernilla said...

So lovely!
Happy Pink Saturday :)
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Gorgeous...this is the look that makes me swoon. The beautiful quilt work and the lovely decorating!

Tami Kenner said...

Your textiles and teacups are stunning. I love old quilts..beautiful!!
Happy Pink Saturday! xo Tami

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Your blog is charming. Love your pairing delicate china and pastel quilting.

Visiting from The Charm of Home. Debra

chubskulit said...

Love your pink this week. So pretty!

My PINK..., have a great weekend!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This quilt is beautiful...just exactly what I love! And I'm enjoying your blog so much that I'm going to put it in my list of favs! Hugs!

Sherry said...

Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love to hear from you. ~Clara~