Monday, August 20, 2012

Old Britain Castles

Lord Byron (1788-1824)
She Walks in Beauty

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.


One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.


And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

Hello Everyone. Won't you join me for a cup of tea in the Sunroom?


My white Knock Out Roses are still blooming.


Old Britain Castles. Johnson Bros. Made in England




It is so hot outside that I want to wish this summer away. Isn't it sad that I want to wish my life away? but I just can't stand this heat and  high humidity. It gives me terrible sinus headaches and that means that I have to stay inside all of the time. I'm dreaming of Fall leaves and crisp Autumn air.






There is nothing like a cup of tea to warm my soul.




The pretty pattern on the handle of my Mason teapot


I found this teapot in an antique store. The spout was broken off and it's price was in the teens. I saw it for what it was...a beautiful teapot..but I left it. A few weeks later I found  it  sitting on the counter up front by the register and I asked about it. The owner said that she was going to send the lid off to replacemrnts.com and I thought...what is this pot going to do with out it's lid..  so I bought it for $12.00. If I had  bought it the first time ...for just maybe..$5.00 more..I would have had it with the lid. Oh well..as they say (don't cry over spilled milk) I now display it with fresh or silk flowers and let one hang down over the spout. (like above). Or slide it just a little behind the plate next to it. But what is important is that the little pot has a home and I can enjoy looking at it.


Mark on bottom of teapot


John Maddock & Sons Royal Vitreous ~BOMBAY~made in England



This bust figurine has a mate (I'll show him in another post.)


Thank you for stopping by. I am feeling much better now and many thanks to all of those who left such kind comments below on my last post.
~Clara




20 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Dear Clara,
What a lovely post filled with poetry and my favourite, red transferware! Love the patterns and I'm glad you gave the teapot a loving home. I hope you find a RW Summertime teacup. I do adore chintz! I will have to add that one to my "Treasure Hunt" list too. LOL! You probably have a much better chance of finding one than I do. PEI has very little to offer in the way of used treasures. Thank you for sharing and joining me for tea today.

Blessings,
Sandi

Donna Heber said...

Hi Clara,

Your red transferware is stunning! I have yet to own a fine piece. It looks so pretty with your knock out rose tucked beside it. Have a wonderful day!

Lavender Cottage said...

Hello Clara
I'm glad you bought the teapot after all, it looks wonderful filled with flowers.
I'm not a fan of red china but I sure admire the red transferware my fellow tea friend share.
Judith

Millie said...

I'm glad you found a use for that very pretty tea pot!

Nella said...

Dear Clara, you can never post too much pink transfer ware for me!! Lovely photos, and beautiful collection.....interesting how little objects of affection end up coming home with us even in their imperfection they are beautiful .....I have been very tolerant of the high temps and humidity because of the gorgeous sunshine every day.....I know it will be short lived soon....hope you are feeling better. N.xo

Two Cottages And Tea said...

I love your transferware! The set is so beautiful and makes a lovely teatime! I am slowly collecting the transferware at thrift shops. Just found three dessert plates this week and I'm so excited. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
Nancy

Betty Stapleton said...

What a lovely post. Your transferware is so pretty. Enjoyed the poetry too.

Maria Andrade said...

Hello, Clara,
How beautiful are the photos you share for tea today!
The china is gorgeous! No wonder as it is by great names of china makers...
I'm glad you bought the teapot :) Like you, I can't resist a beautiful antique which is neglected for its marks of time and use...
Hugs

Bookie said...

Such a sad story about the tea pot lid! Glad you saved the rest. Love your choices of pinks and reds here.

Terri said...

Hello Clara,
I am glad you are feeling better : )
Your post is lovely, and I think your transfer wares are beautiful. I have the OBC too, but not the same style tea cup. Maybe mine are the little coffee cups. I use them for hot chocolate. I love the style of your tea cups here.
Your potted pot is very pretty! A rescue tea pot! Yay!
Hugs,
Terri

Michelle said...

I'm sorry to read how summer affects your sinuses. Your post is lovely-- my favorite Byron poem, too! Your red transferware is gorgeous. The tea pot is beautiful filled with flowers.

Sylvia said...

Hi Clara, I love your post. Your teapot is so pretty with the iceberg roses, I have them in my garden. I am a Georgia girl and now one of your newest followers,
Syvia@agrandmasblessings

jeanetteann said...

I love pink transferware and have a few pieces with the stage coach and a few with the hunting scene. The teapot is so pretty with the white flowers,I am visiting from Mrs Olsen x

Infuse With Liz said...

Very pretty! Love the transferware! I think I love all transferware now that I think about it! Looks like you made good use of the tea pot! The roses are pretty! Lovely combination!

Zaa said...

My favourite poem... and it goes so well with your beautiful vintage red ware... what a lovely collection.How sweet it is to have saved the broken little teapot. She now hold a place of honour on your table amongst the flowers at teatime... Doesn't get any better !!!!...Hugs

Curtains in My Tree said...


I am another one MADD about red & white transferware dishes.
I haven't found any all summer
maybe at an estate sale I am attending tomorrow
I will find a treasure
I have a few Mason pieces also

Jann Olson said...

Hi Clara,
Your red transferware is beautiful! I would love to have a collection. So happy that you are feeling better and I hope it cools down soon for you. I can definitely feel a touch of Fall here in the mornings and evenings. Thanks so much for sharing with SYC.
Hugs,
Jann

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

These dishes are gorgeous! I love red toile and the scenes! Adoring the sweet bust too! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Diann said...

Oh, I love this pattern. It has been a favorite of mine for a very long time. Your have some wonderful pieces! Gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at TTF and have a terrific day!

Sherry said...

I love this pattern too. I have just 1 teacup in it. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love to hear from you. ~Clara~