Friday, August 24, 2012

The Lily


The modest Rose puts forth a thorn,
The humble sheep a threatening horn:
While the Lily white shall in love delight,
Nor a thorn nor a threat stain her beauty bright.

~English poet-William Blake




Crinum moorei ( Crinum Lily)

Is one of the larger members of the world-wide tropical to temperate ornamental lily family, Amaryllidaceae. It is related to the amaryllis, but is rarely seen in your typical garden center. The large bulb (up to 200 mm in diameter) of C. moorei rests just under the surface of the soil but has a an elongate neck which protrudes a further 200-300 mm above ground. The long, flat, dark green leaves (up to 1 m long and about 200 mm wide), emerge in a rosette from the neck which also produces a long flowering stalk in summer of 1.2 m or more, topped by 5-10 large, open, white to pale pink flowers. The bulbs are large and long lived. Most crinum originated in Africa and it is thought that many were brought over during the slave trade. (.info. from Google)

Every October my garden club does a plant swap, so since I love Daylilies, I got a bag of bulbs and went home to plant them. while planting away, I looked up and noticed my beagle was running around the yard with a large bulb in his mouth and it didn't look like a Daylily bulb. It was rather an alien looking thing but I put it in the ground anyway. About three years later I had these incredible pink blooms and they have the sweetest fragrance.



Crinum Lilies... my new favorites.

I clipped some and arranged them in my glassware for Pink Saturday















I photographed these just after a lite shower.




Thank you for stopping by and I hope you have a great weekend.
~Clara
 



19 comments:

LV said...

What a truly lovely flower. I am sure they would never make it in Texas.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Just beautiful ! I bet they make you smile each time you look at them.
Happy Pink Saturday !

Robyn said...

so beautifully delicate looking - love the colors! Hope you have a fun Pink Saturday!

Snap said...

I can see why the Crinum lilies are your favorites. Such a pretty pink and they look lovely in the pink crystal and the pitchers. Lovely post.

Maria Glazacheva said...

Quelle jolie Fleure!! ;O)
Il est just MAGNIFQUE!!1 :o)
BONNE SEMAINE!!!
xxx Maria xxx

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What an amazing story! And a gorgeous lily! LOVE the pink!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Clara,
What a gorgeous lily! I can almost smell it. Love your pink rimmed King's Crown goblet too. I have several but mine are all red. Happy Pink Saturday and have a splendid weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

NanE said...

I love Crinum lilies too, although I don't have any in my current garden. I noticed in your profile that you live in Summerville, I live in Mt. P! Happy PINK Saturday and have a great weekend, Nan

Lavender Cottage said...

Thanks for sharing the delicate pink beauty of this lily Clara. Good thing your beagle didn't destroy the bulb while playing with it; a real bonus in the bag.
Judith

jennspeacornpopnuts.com said...

Beautiful pinks! Such tender blooms and they look great in the glassware! And your beagle has his own garden selection! ;) Sometimes, they get it right, huh?

Happy Pink Saturday.

Bernideen said...

Oh how pretty is this! Thanks for linking even though I was L A T E! lOVELY BLOG HERE!

AshTreeCottage said...

Such a beautiful lily. I hope that I can find one like it and if I do that it will grow and thrive in Idaho.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You use so many beautiful containers for your flowers! Lovely!

chubskulit said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Hopping a little late from Pink Saturday.

My PINK, come and see when you get a chance.
Have a lovely Sunday!

Magnolia Cottage said...

Hi Clara,
You have a beautiful lily garden. Love the soft pink! They look so pretty in your glassware. Happy Pink Saturday!
Lisa

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Beautiful lilies!!
And I love the way you chose to display them!!

Hugs,
Debbie

NanE said...

I forgot to ask yesterday, what kind of dog is Beau? He looks like a Havanese. I have a little black female Havanese.

Rosewalk Cottage said...

Beau is a Cavachan. Half Bishon Frise and half King Charles Cavalier.

SelenarteDecoupage said...

Oh I love lily flowers. Bulbous plants are my favourite.

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love to hear from you. ~Clara~